Google+ Badge

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Random Thoughts from a Social Media Manager

I decided to update my personal LinkedIn account and discovered a feature to add a design portfolio through Behance.net. Several hours later, I had the beginnings of a portfolio posted (I had to do a bit of legwork to figure out descriptions for the projects, hunt down images, write the text, etc.) and added links to our Facebook, Google+, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts. (Still need to add Pinterest.)

While working on that, managed to get sidetracked by posts I was seeing on my social media accounts, SEO-related things that seemed important enough to share. Add a link here, share a link there, it all takes time.

In the meantime, you kind of forget what you were doing in the first place. Social media has a way of pulling you through lots of winding tunnels, with no real sense of where you're going, where you've been or when you're going to get done. At some point, I just realize that my tush is hurting from sitting so long and my eyes need a break from the screen.

And the passwords! I'm a bit paranoid about using the same passwords for all my social media accounts, so keeping them all straight in my head has become a major endeavor. I guess it wasn't that important to remember all the neighbors' kids names -- no room in there for old phone numbers either.

Perhaps the most frustrating is the realization that you never finish social media. It's a long-term relationship, not a one-night stand. And, really, after being married 23 years, having 2 kids and committing myself to caring for a bird that could live longer than me, do I need another big-time commitment?

Finally, what's with the name - Social Media? The last thing I feel while glued to my screen is that I'm being "social".

OK, I'm done grousing. Time to get back to being "social".

BTW, here's a link to our new web design portfolio (still in progress)

1 comment:

DesignPax - custom landing page design service said...

I enjoyed very much reading your post, it gave me another perspective of my job. Thanks